We're looking forward to SXSW 2013 in Austin and hope we'll see you there! We've got a couple of exciting events planned...click to learn more!
Goodwin Procter tech partner Dave Cappillo recently led a discussion at Harvard Innovation Lab focused on how to avoid eight missteps that entrepreneurs commonly make in the early stages of a company's life cycle. In the presentation, Dave explains why and how avoiding these eight "great" mistakes can save an entrepreneur time, money and angst when raising money or seeking liquidity.
The key takeaways:
- Keep the formation process and the company structure process as simple as possible
- Get the allocation of founder equity right at the outset
- Protect the start-up's intellectual property
To hear Dave's advice on these three key issues, please click here and view minutes 0:17 to 2:04.
Stay tuned for more highlights from Dave’s presentation.
At this week’s 2012 MassChallenge Awards Ceremony, 16 start-ups from an applicant pool of 1,237, were awarded a total of $1 million from MassChallenge Inc. to help them develop innovative new products. Several Goodwin Procter clients were among the winners, including:
$100k Diamond Winner:
- LiquiGlide, (Founders J. David Smith and Prof. Kripa Varanasi)
$50k Gold Winners:
- Dynamo Micropower, (Founder Jason Ethier)
- BuysideFX, (Founders David Costin and Ty Danco)
- Ministry of Supply, (Founders Aman Advani, Gihan Amarasiriwardena, Kit Hickey and Kevin Rustagi)
- recovers.org, (Founders Caitria O’Neill and Morgan O’Neill)
Click here to watch the opening video from the awards ceremony.
On Friday, November 9, Goodwin Procter’s New York office will host the first Capital On Stage conference held in the United States.
Previously held in London and Amsterdam, the unconventional funding conference brings together top-tier investors and tech start-up founders.
This year, 20 VCs and Angel Investors are expected to present their views on the market, their added value, and what they’re looking for in their next investments, to more than 200 selected founders who are seeking funding.
Confirmed presenters include:
- David Aronoff, Flybridge Capital Partners
- Lauren Maillian Bass, Gen Y Capital Partners
- Murat Bicer, RTP Ventures
- Andrew Cleland, Comcast Ventures
- Jo Ann Corkran, Golden Seeds
- Harry DeMott, Raptor Ventures
- Gary Kurtzman, Safeguard Scientifics
- Charlie O’Donnell, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures
- Jason Port, Early Stage Investor
- Raju Rishi, Sigma Partners
- Brad Svrluga, High Peaks Venture Partners
- David Teten, FF Venture Capital
The conference also includes sessions on fundraising and open office hours that allow all start-ups to book 15-minute meetings with investors of their choice.
For more information on Capital On Stage, watch this video from the London event earlier this year.
To request an invitation to the New York conference, please visit this link.
We had such a great time at SXSW last year and look forward to seeing everyone out in Austin again in March. This year we’ve submitted a panel to the conference and need your help to get us selected.
The proposed panel, chaired by our own Christopher Austin, will focus on the New York tech marketplace, the recent explosion of new technology companies being formed there, and the awesome women that are leading a number of them.
Here’s a taste of the questions we plan on discussing during the panel:
- What are the traditional barriers to entry for tech start-ups, and how can you get around those in New York?
- Why is New York such a great place for a woman to start and build a company?
- How can I find good engineers in New York? I thought they were all in Silicon Valley?
- Won't my investors just make me move to Silicon Valley anyway? Why should I waste my time meeting people in New York?
You can check out the full submission and vote for us here. We’ve got our tickets for SXSW, do you?
MassChallenge will host their annual Startup Showcase, an open-floor expo with all of their Finalist teams sharing info on their products, services, websites, and ideas. To register please visit:http://mcstartupshowcasevip2012.eventbrite.com/.
Stop by to see the Founders Workbench in action and have a drink or a bite with our StartUp Squad! Steve Davis, John Egan, Jeff Klein and Ian Engstrand will be on hand to show off some new developments on the Workbench and answer any additional questions you might have.
For updates from SXSW, follow us on Twitter @founderstoolbox or #GPSXSW.
Join David Cappillo, from Goodwin Proctor as he takes you through a meeting with a real startup team. He will conduct an actual "first meeting" with this team, taking them through all the questions he asks client companies. This promises to be a fun and lively session, with much time reserved for Q&A.
Christopher Austin, Bob Bishop and David Cappillo will host an afternoon of office hours for the start-up companies of TechStars Boston. For more information about TechStars please visit: http://www.techstars.com/program/locations/boston/
This two-day conference, organized by Business Insider, will explore the future of the media business. IGNITION will bring together key stakeholders and executives to discuss what's happening now, what's coming next and how it will affect businesses. The conference will take place at the Time Warner Center in New York City.