The recently released Tech IPO Pipeline Report from CB Insights makes interesting reading for founders and entrepreneurs who are looking ahead. The report identifies 472 private venture-backed companies with valuations over $100 million, the “shadow IPO pipeline." These companies have collectively raised $40 billion, and a quick look at the list reveals some commonalities and trends among both the companies and their investors.
Key takeaways from the report:
- The majority of these companies are selling to enterprises and the SMB market; only a minority are consumer-focused.
- NYC overtook Boston as the 2nd largest home for these companies (41 to 40), putting the two east coast states in a virtual dead heat.
- The average funding amount per company on the list is $84.7 million.
- PE investors are increasingly active in this space and are investors in 90 of the 472 companies.
- Almost 50% of the tech IPO pipeline is comprised of internet companies followed by mobile & telecom companies, focused on services and infrastructure rather than applications.
This post on IPO was authored by John Egan.